Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Apes Traverse


40 Traverses of the Apes Wall in Malibu

Finally exhaustion sets in.

Hit this one on October 30. This is my endurance training route, so I have it a little bit wired. It's mid-5.11, 100 ft long + 20ft up + 20 ft down, pocketed, mostly overhanging.

This wall sucks up the sun most of the day. Gets about 2 hours of shade at the end of the day. I was hoping for an overcast day, but just got baked instead. First couple of hours went well, cranked out 12 quickly. Then the sun came out and I just died! Slower and slower and slower. Finished up 17 by 12:30, then went to hide under a rock. Once the cliff made it into the shade, ventured out for another 12. For a total of 29. And that was it. The sun definitely kicked my ass, but my I was just frigging tired by the end. Total climbing 29x100 sideways + 29x40 vertical =4060 ft.

Awesome ---- It wouldn't have been a challenge unless something kicked my tail.

1 comment:

Steve Edwards said...

40 laps on that thing is friggin' burly. Not only that, it would be oh-so painfully boring. 29 laps is burly. Shit. 2 laps is burly. Nice work!